Technology

 

A Brief Introduction to the Technology Department

foodtech

The Design and Technology suites comprise of two food rooms, one textiles room, one graphics studio, one resistant materials workshop and a state of the art CAD CAM room. A wood preparation area also houses wood sawing machines and material storage space.


KS3 – The department operates a condensed KS3 with each students completing eight modules over a two year period. All students will complete projects within Food, Resistant Materials and Textiles and will develop their CAD CAM competencies during their time in the department.

KS4 – GCSE pathways


The department currently offer Food & Nutrition and Graphic Products 


Statement of Work

Catering

How will the course be assessed and what qualifications can you expect to gain?

The course is be broken up into five integrated sections outlined below;

Food, nutrition and health, Food science, Food safety, Food choice and Food provenance      

Theoretical knowledge of food preparation and nutrition from Sections 1 to 5 will be assessed by a terminal written exam lasting 1 hour 45 minutes.  This exam makes up 50% of the students final GCSE grade.  The remaining 50% of the grade is made up of a Non Exam Assessment (NEA), comprising of two tasks:  

Task 1: Food investigation (30 marks) and mean practical investigations are a compulsory element of this NEA task and Task 2: Food preparation assessment (70 marks)

Graphic Products

The two year Graphic Products course is broken down into three modules. Theoretical knowledge of materials and graphic processes will be assessed by a terminal written exam lasting 1 hour 30 minutes.  This exam makes up 40% of the students final GCSE grade.  The remaining 60% of the grade is assessed through two written coursework assessments.  

From September 2018, a new Specification will be adopted for students wishing to opt for Resistant Materials or Graphic Products.  The new examinations will be delivered in line with the new National Qualification scheme, converting A*-G grades to a numerical score 9 -1.  9 equating to the historic A*.

In addition to the classroom courses being delivered the Design Technology department operate a range of additional support programs for the students and include the following:

Intervention classes to support Yr 11 students in their preparation for GCSE examinations and offers opportunities to extend their learning, offering guidance and help with any aspect of their work or for students who would simply like some extra time to complete homework tasks.


Key Stage 3

At times in the year when specific work has not been set for students to do at home they will be expected to improve their work by making use of the ‘Even Better If . . .’ comments made by their teacher. They should also use the time to ensure that assignments are up-to-date and ready for assessment.  Opportunities to work on these strands mean students are encouraged to work with Technology staff after the school day has officially ended at 2.35pm.  


Key Stage 4

As well as the expectations laid out for KS3 students should use the time to further their knowledge and understanding of the subject. 


This could be by further reading around a topic, watching some of the many good programs currently available on television as well as accessing websites such as ‘Doddle’ and ‘GCSE PoD’ to allow deeper learning around such topics as Industrial Practices and Material types.


Meet the team

Current staffing include:


Ms Styles

Graphics specialist and Assistant Head teacher/Relationships


Mrs Kenny

Food Specialist


Mrs Osbourne

Food Specialist


Mrs Phillips

Food and Textiles teacher and Special Educational Needs coordinator


Mrs Gough

Food Technician


In addition to the current staffing structure, we are very excited to welcome our new Head of Department Ms Bullock who will be joining Telford Priory School in January 2018.




Twitter_bird_iconFollow us on Twitter @tpstechnology